Stripping lever replacement how-to

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

fd57

Stripping lever replacement how-to

Post by fd57 » 12 Aug 2012, 20:58

If there is interest we'll put some words to this document to help explain what's happening in the photos:

http://wikisend.com/download/460760/FSN ... cement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that it's only up for 4 days for the time being. We wanted to replace the gray stripping lever with a black one and thought we'd capture some snaps of the process.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Stripping lever replacement how-to

Post by f3rr37 » 12 Aug 2012, 21:08

Why don't you do a write up in the wiki?

fd57

Post by fd57 » 12 Aug 2012, 22:21

We could probably do that. But isn't the WIKI area password protected?

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 13 Aug 2012, 06:06

Now you're in the wiki user group. :) just use your forum username and pass to login.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 13 Aug 2012, 07:38

Okay. We've got to put pen to paper and input the verbiage as well a couple snaps that didn't make it in the draft.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 13 Aug 2012, 09:12

I created a stub entry here:
w/index.php?title=FiveseveN_Stripping_Lever_Replacement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and added a link to it from here:
w/index.php?title=FiveseveN#Basics_and_DIY_How_Tos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Aug 2012, 12:54

fd57 wrote:If there is interest we'll put some words to this document to help explain what's happening in the photos:

http://wikisend.com/download/460760/FSN ... cement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that it's only up for 4 days for the time being. We wanted to replace the gray stripping lever with a black one and thought we'd capture some snaps of the process.

WARNING DO NOT CLAMP YOUR FSN ON THE LIGHT RAIL LIKE THAT TO WORK ON IT!

This is what a subcontractor did for FNH a few years ago when assembling FsN frames for FNH. The result was micro cracks where the frame and rail meet. This was the cause of so many light rails breaking off a few years ago.

DO NOT CLAMP YOUR FSN THIS WAY TO WORK ON IT.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

fd57

Post by fd57 » 13 Aug 2012, 13:59

This is the way FnH instructs you to clamp it, by the accessory rail using rubber pads, in their Five-seveN's armorer course. Just FYI.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Aug 2012, 14:29

fd57 wrote:This is the way FnH instructs you to clamp it, by the accessory rail using rubber pads, in their Five-seveN's armorer course. Just FYI.

And that was changed when they found out it was damaging frames. I got this directly from Bob Ailes AND Tommy Thacker back when all the rails where breaking off.

Clamp a magazine into the vice and then stick your gun on it.

Your choice do what you want. Not like I ever work on them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

curlysir

Post by curlysir » 15 Aug 2012, 17:10

Nice pictures and details, verbiage would help. Now please do one on the safety lever :D . I notice that you have it changed out also. I have changed all my levers but the safety levers. Not quiet sure how to get the pins out to remove them.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 15 Aug 2012, 19:52

We're working on the safety levers guide. Pics of each step with words. Probably in 2 weeks time. But basically use a roll pin punch to punch down the right pin while the safety lever is pointed down (off), pry off the right safety lever, depress the safety catch plunger and push the safety body catch right to left out of the frame. Keep an eye on the plunger and its spring. Punch out the remain left pin and pry off the left safety lever. Then seat the right safety lever and insert the safety body catch right to left into the frame, depress the safety catch plunger and continue to push the safety body catch to the left, then attach the left safety lever. Then go and insert the pins to lock the safety levers to the safety body catch. Obviously look at each part and if worn or defective replace. Use new slotted pins to lock the safety levers to the safety body catch.

curlysir

Post by curlysir » 16 Aug 2012, 15:32

fd57 wrote:We're working on the safety levers guide. Pics of each step with words. Probably in 2 weeks time. But basically use a roll pin punch to punch down the right pin while the safety lever is pointed down (off), pry off the right safety lever, depress the safety catch plunger and push the safety body catch right to left out of the frame. Keep an eye on the plunger and its spring. Punch out the remain left pin and pry off the left safety lever. Then seat the right safety lever and insert the safety body catch right to left into the frame, depress the safety catch plunger and continue to push the safety body catch to the left, then attach the left safety lever. Then go and insert the pins to lock the safety levers to the safety body catch. Obviously look at each part and if worn or defective replace. Use new slotted pins to lock the safety levers to the safety body catch.
Thanks :thumb:. The position of the safety lever was the part I was unsure about. I was pretty sure that the lever had to be down for the pin to come out. I changed the other levers out some time ago, and just got the safety lever a few weeks ago. I had already purchased the correct pin punch. Kinda lost interest in the project (had to wait several months for the levers) but your posting has got me thinking about it again.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 17 Aug 2012, 19:05

UPDATE 17 Aug 2012: The PDF has disappeared from wikisend. We'll make it available again after we've added the verbiage and a few more snaps.