Newb alert: New FSN and first firearm.

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Drayco

Newb alert: New FSN and first firearm.

Post by Drayco » 13 Mar 2012, 09:10

Essentially, what the topic says. My first firearm is an FSN, so I'm cutting my teeth on the whole shebang all at once. That means I'm a newb for maintainence/cleaning, holding techniques, and even some of the terms. (Thankfully, I'm no stranger to the internet, so I can look up the info I need.)

Already contacted FNH using the email address from the FAQ and asked what lube they recommend due to parents being fairly adamant about it. (They HAVE owned/used guns longer than I've been alive, so their advice does have some weight.) However, I'm also aware that people here have thrown pretty much EVERYTHING at this particular handgun, and as long as the stuff doesn't have teflon nor eats polymers, it seems like it'll work. (Yes, I'm aware that not all lubricants perform equally. This is covered in another thread.)

Second is cleaning, and I understand that a .22 to .223 cleaning kit will work with this firearm. (Aaaaand I should've searched to see if people had compared cleaning kits before starting this...)

Third is shooting technique, and the FAQ here has a link that leads to the Grip Mech Tutorial, which says: "You are not authorised to read this forum." So okay, moving on...

Fourth and the reason why I'm posting this, is... Is there anything I'm missing? Like some small, commonly-known detail that will bite my rear HARD should I overlook it? I mean, I'm ONLY using a device that accelerates a 40 grain piece of metal to supersonic speeds towards whatever you've got the barrel pointed at. (Yes, saw the pics of the one that exploded, and yes I'm also aware that he was using reloaded ammo. That, is currently WAY too advanced for me.)

So, any drawbacks of this particular firearm or potential backlash/mockery from other parts of the community I should be forewarned about? How badly will it skew my perceptions of how other firearms handle?

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Re: Newb alert: New FSN and first firearm.

Post by jgreenberg01 » 13 Mar 2012, 09:31

First, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase! Now to your Q's:

Drawbacks: you're gonna spend a lot of $$$ on ammo - it can't be helped. You load it up and start shooting. It's kinda like potato chips and not being able to eat just one...

Potential backlash from the community #1: since you are internet-search-enabled, you should know that the 5.7x28 is nothing more than a glorified .22wmr, thus making it useless due to it's weak "stopping power."

Potential backlash from the community #2: you should already be aware that the 5.7x28 is a too-dangerous-to-own cop killing weapon that is far too risky for civilians to own.

That about covers it I think. now go out and shoot your new addiction, enjoy and see for yourself. Don't worry about what the "community" has to say, most of those self-proclaimed experts have never even shot the platform. You'll form your own opinions soon enough!

:D
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

eddie

Post by eddie » 13 Mar 2012, 10:28

welcome.

you will enjoy the pistol for sure.

blue has a pretty good video (i think it was a video. maybe it was just pictures) on a great way to geta good grip on the light FSN pistol.

he should be along soon.

hey blue, hook the guy up with that video would ya?

rosie

Post by rosie » 13 Mar 2012, 10:39

jgreenberg01 wrote:First, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase! Now to your Q's:

Drawbacks: you're gonna spend a lot of $$$ on ammo - it can't be helped. You load it up and start shooting. It's kinda like potato chips and not being able to eat just one...

Potential backlash from the community #1: since you are internet-search-enabled, you should know that the 5.7x28 is nothing more than a glorified .22wmr, thus making it useless due to it's weak "stopping power."

Potential backlash from the community #2: you should already be aware that the 5.7x28 is a too-dangerous-to-own cop killing weapon that is far too risky for civilians to own.

That about covers it I think. now go out and shoot your new addiction, enjoy and see for yourself. Don't worry about what the "community" has to say, most of those self-proclaimed experts have never even shot the platform. You'll form your own opinions soon enough!

:D
I'm with Greenberg on reply. You sound excited and rightly should. You will have a lot of fun and hopefully never realize its full potential.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 13 Mar 2012, 13:43

Woohoo, I totally made something like this! viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and blue, if/when you come along, I still have the PS90 super thread like the bottom of that post says, but school eneded and Marine Corps started and I still haven't finished it :laugh:

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 13 Mar 2012, 14:31

It's a great gun one special consideration for cleaning is to buy probably something like a 9mm wire brush and some carb cleaner to clean the chamber of the barel (where the casing sits in the barrel when loaded. You will want to use this do to the slow overtime build up of the special coating that the 5.7x28mm round uses, the carb cleaner will eat right through it but only use it here and make sure you dont get it in the plastic. Also I recommend at some point during cleaning before or after dry fire the weapon a couple times. The firing pin has the possibility to get small pieces of primers or whatever stuck in it over tine causing possible missfires dry firing (firing the weapon with no round in it) will dislodge any of that fixing that problem. Note this isn't a large concern as it has never caused a problem for me but a small good easy preventative tip that's good to use.
Also become very familiar with your weapon, know how it works, practice manipulating the controls and always be aware of the direction of you muzzle ( many people especially violate muzzle safety when loading/unloading). Know how to take your weapon apart and practice.
As for weapons cleaning I like the little .223 pistol cleaning kit hopps makes, it's got everything you need including oil and solvent at a pretty decent price and I have always had good luck with their products. I believe I have heard for some reason rem oil isn't recommended for fiveseven other then that user preference.
Anyways hope this helped atleast a little if you ever have any questions stupid or not you cab post if you can't find it searching or shoot me a pm and I will probably be able to answer if not I will find you the answer.

Welcome to the team
Hendo

Ubetit

Post by Ubetit » 13 Mar 2012, 15:30

Congrats on the purchase. The 5.7 is fairly new to me also. I bought mine as a companion to my Sparrow Suppressor.

New owners tend to clean their pistols alot i've found. I keep a boresnake handy and only give my guns a detailed cleaning every couple of range trips unless they are going to sit in the safe for a while. Polymer safe gun/brake cleaner as well as a foaming bore cleaner are my go to products. Mobil one for EWL for lube.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 13 Mar 2012, 17:40

eddie wrote:welcome.

you will enjoy the pistol for sure.

blue has a pretty good video (i think it was a video. maybe it was just pictures) on a great way to geta good grip on the light FSN pistol.

he should be along soon.

hey blue, hook the guy up with that video would ya?
Sure thing. Drayco, you sound like you're already off to a great start on learning more about the platform from doing your homework, instead of posting repeated threads for something you could google. I find that it is always the better path; learning from self-awareness than from spoon-to-mouth.

You could not access the video because it lives in the members section. Joining as a member will give you access to more areas of the site. It's a pretty high cost/benefit quotient. I choose to post most of what I share about the platform in the members' section to benefit them and to avoid random visitors from accosting the information.

I'm sending the video link to your inbox. :)

Have fun shooting, and be safe.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 13 Mar 2012, 17:59

Really he just wants to make you pay to be a member what a jerk!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 13 Mar 2012, 18:07

Thedirtyheat wrote:Really he just wants to make you pay to be a member what a jerk!
:lmao:

I wish I was fiscally bound to the rewards system of new membership. Sadly, I have no ties.
Shoot more, worry less.

2ndAMVa

Post by 2ndAMVa » 13 Mar 2012, 20:39

Welcom Drayco,

You are now the proud owner of what many consider one of the most advanced pistol design in the world. Everybody loves the low recoil. I like the firepower and the light weight, which makes it comfortable to carry concealed.

It's not a gun I would take to the Alaskan tundras for defense against brown bears. But it's an ideal urban CCW.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 13 Mar 2012, 21:34

Wow, quite a few welcoming responses...

jgreen: Yeah, not surprised. The only way to become GOOD at something is practice, and being good with firearms is gonna be 90% accuracy. (Or something. I'm new, don't treat it as an exact estimate.)

eddie: Got the vid. More later.

rosie: Yes, I think I'll live without knowing first-hand what this thing can do to an intruder. So yeah, hoping I never NEED to use it.

PainKillaX: THAT'S why your name was familiar... Anyway, thanks a TON for that FAQ. (Also found a link to reversing the mag release in there.) Also got the email address for FN USA support from there. (That address IS still valid, right?)

Thedirtyheat: Is the rod in the Hopps kit steel or aluminum? Or just not strong enough to scratch the inside of the barrel unless you REALLY screw up? And does it include the carb cleaner you mentioned?

Ubetit: (Adds boresnake to list of things to get...) And I was thinking about that Weaponshield stuff from Steel Shield Tech. (Okay, it's half because they offer a free sample. But, if it's good like I've heard...)

blueorison: Member's Section? Dangit, I'm getting mugged, and by people that are better at firearms than me! :p Okay, seriously though, I always thought I had large hands. Welp, now I know that they're a little on the smaller side, and I'm really gonna need to reverse that mag catch soon.
Yes, I'm partially left-handed. My right hand is actually my dominant hand, but my left EYE is my dominant eye, and I get better gun accuracy with my left. (Okay, I've only ever tried it with Nerf, but the "sights" on those are so much of a joke you're aiming with the barrel anyway. And the ranges are PATHETIC unless you remove those air restrictors. But, I'm on a tangent as modifying Nerf is one thing. REAL firearms? TOTALLY different game. Won't be doing THAT either.)

2ndAMVa: TBH, I wouldn't try using this thing to take down even a black bear. This thing was made primarily for ONE species, and ONE species only. MIGHT try to tackle a brown bear with a P90, but only it the alternative is getting mauled. (Okay, I'd try using the FSN if the alternative is getting mauled, but by then it'd be safe to say that I'm desperate.)

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 13 Mar 2012, 22:35

Drayco wrote:PainKillaX: THAT'S why your name was familiar... Anyway, thanks a TON for that FAQ. (Also found a link to reversing the mag release in there.) Also got the email address for FN USA support from there. (That address IS still valid, right?)
The person that email goes to is no longer employed by FN, nor to I see a support email address listed on their support page or contact page:
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/contact.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 13 Mar 2012, 22:57

Silver membership is only 10-15$ or so.

It's a joke compared to the amount of information and research you gain.
Shoot more, worry less.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 13 Mar 2012, 23:48

You won't scratch the inside of the barrel with a cleaning rod no matter how hard you try it's chrome lined, although if youre getting a boresnake thats pretty much all you need minus the 9mm or so sized brush and carb cleaner, just can get that from the auto parts store.
As for being right handed and left eye dominant, if you're sure you're left eye dominant (there is a plethora of simple test you can google) then you have 2 choices with pistol, you can hold it in you're left hand and get used to shooting left handed or like some pistol shooters you can still shoot right handed using your left eye, you should shoot with both eyes open, one of the biggest bad habits shooters learn is closing one eye, specially rifle shooters but some pistol shooters as well.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 14 Mar 2012, 10:11

Drayco wrote:...asked what lube they recommend due to parents being fairly adamant about it. (They HAVE owned/used guns longer than I've been alive, so their advice does have some weight.) However, I'm also aware that people here have thrown pretty much EVERYTHING at this particular handgun, and as long as the stuff doesn't have teflon nor eats polymers, it seems like it'll work. (Yes, I'm aware that not all lubricants perform equally. This is covered in another thread.)

What's wrong with Teflon?

My advice? Use it: That's what you bought the thing for. Get it dirty, scratched, banged up, etc. It's a tool. Like any other.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 14 Mar 2012, 12:56

^

These guys know their ****. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 14 Mar 2012, 13:04

Yea except that freeze guy talking bout pulling his fsn out of the safe, have that man arrested!! I hope we have helped a little bit but hey, the best thing to do is go shoot it shoot it shoot it. Watch some videos and learn the basics, you haven't mentioned if this is your first firearm so im not sure if you have shot rifles before or not. Either way the basics are all still the same, Grip, breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze, follow through it's best to master the basics an learn to do them right from the start. It's much easier to take the extra time to learn right then to learn wrong and have to break that habit down the road.
You'll have to let us know what you think about it when you get it out to the range! Oh and hey that blue guy really knows his **** along with multiple other forum members so really try to learn slot from them I am grateful for some of the things they have helped me with.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 14 Mar 2012, 13:38

One thing I'm really looking forward to when I get home is getting down and dirty with my FsN. It's been clean long enough. Time to use it.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 15 Mar 2012, 12:35

Okay, got around to calling FN USA today, (BTW, thanks Ferret.) and they recommend the CLP from BreakFree, not JUST the CLP-NC. So, with OFFICIAL recommendation, I can get the go-ahead from the main hinderances. :wall:

blueorison: But I'm not done bleeding the free section of info yet! :p Seriously though, I'm REALLY considering it and will prolly end up biting the bullet soon. (Most likely after thinking that I totally suck at using firearms.)

Thedirtyheat: Oh really? Nice to know they idiot-proofed it. As for the aiming...
Oh joy... RIGHT eye is Dominant, but that's the ONLY eye I can close to reduce the REALLY bad doublevision I get. (The object I'm focusing on is fine, but the object I'm pointing at it is doubled pretty badly, IE like a full inch of space between the object(s), thus making forming a "line" from the one to the other nearly impossible.) This, is gonna take some work... Binocular Diplopia(?) on TOP of Astigmatism... Joy...
Anyway, yes, this IS my first firearm, although I have shot them before, notably rifles. (But, nowhere NEAR the amount of time needed to be halfway decent with 'em.)

Mister Freeze: A tool, yes. But one that I won't be able to replace anytime soon. However, at least it's not one that needs considerable amounts of babying.

EDIT: On further testing, Left eye IS dominant. Ugh, I need to stop freaking out so easily. Problem was that tests weren't lining up to EITHER eye for a bit and like I said, I can only close the right eyelid. (Or close both. Dunno why that is.)

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 15 Mar 2012, 13:50

You want to learn to shoot with two eyes open just try to focus on the eye you're looking out it's hard to explain but for me I focus my shooting eye and relax my non Dom. I still have vision out of both though, you want to focus on the front sight post the target should be blury. Again these things take a little practice but better to learn right the first time.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 15 Mar 2012, 18:50

The FsN is such that you shouldn't have to replace it for a LONG time. I've shot mine far more than any other gun I've ever owned. You'd only know it by the condition of the slide cover.

What's wrong with Teflon?

I shoot pistols with my rt hand and left eye. Not a problem: ask Blue; I'm legit!

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 16 Mar 2012, 20:24

Mister Freeze: I -thought- I had read somewhere that the teflon can build up inside the barrel or ejecting mechanism and plug it, but I can't seem to find where I got that info from, or that most lubes with teflon include solvents that can erode the polymers...

Again, I DON'T know where I heard that from, and it's totally possible that I misread it or something... (Happens sometimes with me, I'm sorry.)

Thedirtyheat: I'll try it and see. It's prolly gonna take some experimenting to really pin down what works the best for me, but I actually have no problems with using my left for aiming. It'll take practice, yes, but so will aiming with the right. And like I said, I've tried that before.

Well anyway... Tried reversing the mag release today. Overestimated how much pull was needed to remove the spring and *Ping.* Dunno where it went, (And yes, I looked. Anybody know if those things are magnetic, perchance?) but called FN and they're sending a new spring plus mag release catch FOR FREE. (<3)

Little annoyed with myself because the FAQ -DID- try to warn me. Ah well. Years from now I'll look back on this, chuckle, and change the subject.

On another note, there IS a bit bit of plastic inside the frame that looks like it'll keep the spring from being inserted into the position for the release to work. The spring itself DOES need to be "flipped over", correct?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Mar 2012, 23:04

Drayco wrote:Mister Freeze: I -thought- I had read somewhere that the teflon can build up inside the barrel or ejecting mechanism and plug it, but I can't seem to find where I got that info from, or that most lubes with teflon include solvents that can erode the polymers...

What builds up is lacquer from the cases. If it gets thick enough it can cause extraction issues and over pressure. Also glue residue from the factory bullets can build up. Powder combustion does not burn it up.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 17 Mar 2012, 08:29

panzermk2 wrote:What builds up is lacquer from the cases. If it gets thick enough it can cause extraction issues and over pressure. Also glue residue from the factory bullets can build up. Powder combustion does not burn it up.
Huh... So THAT'S where the carb cleaner comes in. So, how'd I get that mixed up with "teflon lubricants"? (Don't answer that.)

Anyway, found spring under my pillow this morning. (Visit by Spring Fairy? :B) Spring is back in place, and yes, there IS a bit of polymer that's keeping the mag release from being reversed. So, I'll just need to figure out a way around that. Now I just need cleaning kit, CLP, and... I'm gonna need more than 50rds for my first firing trip, aren't I?

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 17 Mar 2012, 13:37

WAAAAYYYY more than 50 rnds!

NO carb cleaner: it is NOT compatible with the gun's polymer. I'm a fan of it, but not for plastic parts.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 17 Mar 2012, 15:08

You should have no issue flipping the mag release.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Mar 2012, 16:13

Mister Freeze wrote:WAAAAYYYY more than 50 rnds!

NO carb cleaner: it is NOT compatible with the gun's polymer. I'm a fan of it, but not for plastic parts.

You use it to clean the chamber on the barrel Tom. Non of the standard bore cleaners can remove lacquer. Also round count is NOT relevant. Sometimes the coatings on the brass aren't cured well and more lacquer comes off then normal. So to avoid this issue everything you clean your gun, move the poly parts away, use a metallic brush and scrub the chamber.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

fd57

Post by fd57 » 17 Mar 2012, 16:41

Maybe a picture with the area circled to be cleaned with carb cleaner will help the original poster?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Mar 2012, 20:14

fd57 wrote:Maybe a picture with the area circled to be cleaned with carb cleaner will help the original poster?

Enough build up can cause neck separations also. This is where you clean with Carb Clean.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

s-industries
Gold Member
custom title: M.E.

Post by s-industries » 17 Mar 2012, 20:23

Heeeeeeey, I hope your signature line is a compliment Jay :p

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Mar 2012, 20:46

s-industries wrote:Heeeeeeey, I hope your signature line is a compliment Jay :p
:thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 18 Mar 2012, 06:23

(If this stuff has been addressed before, just delete the Post. THANX!)

GONRA has been thinking about an extreme case – New-to-Shootin’ Guy
purchases a used Five Seven pistol without any (safety) literature, gun case, etc.
He’ll probably get a box of ammo, MAYBE ear plugs, targets, dig up Internet Disassembly Info, but that’s about it. He’s really on his own.
Poor guy no idea about Gun Safety or Sight Picture!

(New-to-Shootin’ Drayco sure sounds Smart and Thoughtful, BUT not all will be!!!)

In Shootin’ Sports one cannot “use spell check, click and correct”
like our Modern PC Kulture.
Make a stupid mistake - somebody might get killed!!!

Here’s the advice to New Gun Owner who’s on his own:
1. Do NOT fool around loading the firearm at home. Save this for the range!
2. Make SURE you have Ear Protection and
Real Safety Glasses – hopefully with side shields.
3. Get a Cleaning Kit and swab out the barrel
from the chamber end to make SURE bore is clean and ready-to-shoot.
(New Shooter – you CANNOT shoot debris / grease / oil / stuck bullets etc.
out of ANY gun barrel!)
4. Purchase a box of BRAND NAME FACTORY ammo.
(Just Normal Ammo – not boutique stuff (yet)!)
5. Go to a Commercial Range or find a Friendly Local Gun Crazy, that / who will:
offer peer review,
run a patch thru the barrel to make SURE it clear of oil / grease,
THEN give you a little assistance
(knowledge of the “sight picture” sure is nice!)
in getting started whilst pounding Gun Safety into yer head.

Methinks it would be a good idea for FiveSevenForum Higher Ups
to hava (nearly) automatic boiler plate Email response along above lines to
immediately fire back to New-to-Shootin’ Guys.
(Maybe this already has been done? ???)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Mar 2012, 16:13

It used to be "use common sense".

Then the truth was realized.

Now I just point them to the Wiki. Can't recommend most other forums, they are filled with people who give advice without knowing what they're talking about or having done it.
Shoot more, worry less.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 21 Mar 2012, 12:39

Okay... Sorry for ignoring most of you for now, but I can actually contribute some info!

First off, I have the new mag spring and release catch. And, I'll be editing this to post pics of it. (Yes, it's different. VERY different.) *EDIT*: Pic's up. Notice the hooks at the bottom of the spring and the notches in the mag release. Also, you can't really see it in the pic, but the curved part at the top is bent in a 45-deg. angle.

Second, I have pics of this bit of flashing or whatever that kept me from reversing the mag release in the first place.

See the long peg over the mag release catch? Notice the grey to the left and the black to the right? THAT black is the stuff that's keeping me from inserting the new spring, and reversing the old one.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Mar 2012, 21:05

Sorry bud. Have never tried to swap the mag release.
But, I can say that you probably read somewhere here about the 'don't use Teflon'. A member here claimed to have called FN and was told by them not to use any products that had teflon (like RemOil) for cleaning or lubing your FsN. I used it for years and had no issues, whatsover. Each member has their own prefered products whether it's Hoppes, RemOil, MobileOne, whatever.
In all actuality, as long as you thoroughly clean the weapon and properly lubricate it, you should be good.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Lobo
Gold Member

Post by Lobo » 10 Apr 2012, 22:38

panzermk2 wrote:

You use it to clean the chamber on the barrel Tom. Non of the standard bore cleaners can remove lacquer. Also round count is NOT relevant. Sometimes the coatings on the brass aren't cured well and more lacquer comes off then normal. So to avoid this issue everything you clean your gun, move the poly parts away, use a metallic brush and scrub the chamber.
Panzermk2
any carb cleaner? or a certain brand?

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...."
William Shakespeare, Henry V

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Apr 2012, 23:33

Lobo wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:

Panzermk2
any carb cleaner? or a certain brand?

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...."
William Shakespeare, Henry V

I use the WalMart house brand. We go through a great deal of it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Lobo
Gold Member

Post by Lobo » 10 Apr 2012, 23:55

hmmm, I stopped by the BX on the way home today and got a carb cleaner/something else cleaner after reading the post (I would have emailed the question then but the military network doesn't allow certain fuctions on sites, like logging in & posting)...I'll give that a try, especially since I got that great photo of the area I should do :lmao:

Cheers!

"Bother", said Pooh, as he centered the sights on Tigger.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 17 Apr 2012, 22:08

Geeze... Almost a month since last post? Oy...

Cleaned the FsN and took it shooting at our place along with parents. They had gotten some new guns as well and wanted to try them out, and also annoy neighbors. We're outside of city limits, and shooting was down down into a dirt bank. Not only allowed me to get a bit of a feel of the FsN, but also compare it to a few others. More on my impressions in a minute...

Cleaning got out quite a bit of grime and such. I'm seriously thinking the guy that I bought it from tried it out a bit as there was some definite black that came out of the barrel. (He told me it was new, other than test firing by FN.)

panzermk2: Yeeeg... Okay, definitely gonna need the carb cleaner... Last thing I need is a jammed neck from a casing stuck in there... SHOULD that happen, is there any cues to watch out for BEFORE pulling the trigger? (PLEASE tell me it won't fire if such a thing occurs...)

As for firing it... One of the handguns parents wanted to test was a .22 revolver, so I DID get a good comparison. It seemed like it only had a BIT more recoil than the .22 revolver, but then I think most of it was going into my right arm. (Which DID have some soreness to it, and I only shot 10+ rounds of it, a few .22s, and mom's deer-hunting revolver that takes .454 Casuls...) Mom seemed like she had more recoil when shooting it. (She's also more used to revolvers.)

Also... Very, VERY glad I had earplugs. Those YouTube vids seem like they mute the volume during firing, but they ARE fairly loud.

Accuracy... I'm INCREDIBLY unsure about. Target was a deflated basketball that had fallen onto the property, and it didn't move when shot. Will have to take it up to Grandma's since they have one of those things you can use to clamp it down, along with a ton of dirt that they use for target practice. LOT of hunters in the family around there. Dad thinks that the sights are already pretty accurate, but since the target didn't provide any feedback and unlike the other guns, it didn't really kick up any dirt...

One last thing I noticed is that the spent casings go FLYING forward and to the right, and are nearly impossible to find in slightly-grown grass and brush. Fired 18 SR rounds, found a total of 4 casings.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Apr 2012, 23:32

Drayco wrote:Geeze... Almost a month since last post? Oy...

Cleaned the FsN and took it shooting at our place along with parents. They had gotten some new guns as well and wanted to try them out, and also annoy neighbors. We're outside of city limits, and shooting was down down into a dirt bank. Not only allowed me to get a bit of a feel of the FsN, but also compare it to a few others. More on my impressions in a minute...

Cleaning got out quite a bit of grime and such. I'm seriously thinking the guy that I bought it from tried it out a bit as there was some definite black that came out of the barrel. (He told me it was new, other than test firing by FN.)

panzermk2: Yeeeg... Okay, definitely gonna need the carb cleaner... Last thing I need is a jammed neck from a casing stuck in there... SHOULD that happen, is there any cues to watch out for BEFORE pulling the trigger? (PLEASE tell me it won't fire if such a thing occurs...)

As for firing it... One of the handguns parents wanted to test was a .22 revolver, so I DID get a good comparison. It seemed like it only had a BIT more recoil than the .22 revolver, but then I think most of it was going into my right arm. (Which DID have some soreness to it, and I only shot 10+ rounds of it, a few .22s, and mom's deer-hunting revolver that takes .454 Casuls...) Mom seemed like she had more recoil when shooting it. (She's also more used to revolvers.)

Also... Very, VERY glad I had earplugs. Those YouTube vids seem like they mute the volume during firing, but they ARE fairly loud.

Accuracy... I'm INCREDIBLY unsure about. Target was a deflated basketball that had fallen onto the property, and it didn't move when shot. Will have to take it up to Grandma's since they have one of those things you can use to clamp it down, along with a ton of dirt that they use for target practice. LOT of hunters in the family around there. Dad thinks that the sights are already pretty accurate, but since the target didn't provide any feedback and unlike the other guns, it didn't really kick up any dirt...

One last thing I noticed is that the spent casings go FLYING forward and to the right, and are nearly impossible to find in slightly-grown grass and brush. Fired 18 SR rounds, found a total of 4 casings.

CC the chamber every time you clean it.

Our HD recoil spring will reduce the distance the cases fly.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Apr 2012, 07:13

panzermk2 wrote:Our HD recoil spring will reduce the distance the cases fly.
Relatively speaking :laugh: Mine still fly ~8yd but it does make it more consistent. From find a couple in a spot to find 'em all (or at least almost all) in that spot.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.