Rear site is loose, how to tighten it up?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

wheelguy

Rear site is loose, how to tighten it up?

Post by wheelguy » 03 Sep 2011, 10:55

My rear site can be wiggled slightly, so I'd like to tighten it up. After I removed the plastic slide cover, I thought I'd find a set screw or something, but no such luck. Does anyone know how to tighten the rear site so it is a good snug fit in the V-groove?

Thanks again, wheelguy

wheelguy

Re: Rear site is loose, how to tighten it up?

Post by wheelguy » 03 Sep 2011, 14:19

There may be a better way to solve this, but I was in a hurry, so did this to fix it. Sweet sweet range time waits for no man :) ...

When you look at the slide part of the dovetail that holds the rear site in place, you'll see a very small metal shim on the muzzle edge of the dovetail. This is probably how they do it at the factory - using shim stock to make the fit tight.

I don't have shim stock, so instead, I removed the site from the slide and put 4 nice little punch marks on the rear edge of the site. I didn't want to damage the slide, so I used the punch on the site instead of on the slide.

Just a medium tap with the hammer on a sharp pointed punch was enough to make the soft steel of the site flow enough to spread out the metal in that area. Then, I tapped the site back into the slide for a nice tight fit.

Just got back from the range, and it seems to be holding. Only time will tell if it holds long term.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 03 Sep 2011, 22:27

Nice! I'm sure this tip will come in handy to a few people.

wheelguy

Post by wheelguy » 04 Sep 2011, 06:00

Well guys, it was an easy fix, but it didn't hold. A few mags later and it started to get loose. So, the next thing I'll do is drill and tap a hole in the base for a set screw or two. Again, I don't want to modify the slide - just the base - in case I have to send the slide in.

It amazes me that there is no provision in the design for tightening up the rear site. Front site has expandable dovetail, but back has nada. I'm also going to talk to FN about this design feature and get their recommendation.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Sep 2011, 20:43

All that is wrong is the front section of the dovetail on the slide has worked it's self loose. This is very common and happens on brand new FsNs. What you need to do is take a 1/4 wide chisel and re stake the front cut. FNH does this at the factory and if you look closely you will see the marks. Sometimes they just don't secure the well.

I see this all the time when installing night sights.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

wheelguy

Post by wheelguy » 01 Oct 2011, 10:02

Finally added a set screw to the rear site bracket (the part with the dovetail that fits into the slide). I compared using an 8-32 with a 10-32 stainless set screw, and decided the bigger thread area of the 10-32 would be better.

Only one set screw can fit in there due to the 2 bars on bracket top, and I had no problems drilling and taping the soft steel for the 10-32 from below. Instead of centering the set screw in the dovetail, I put it forward about 1/32" in order to avoid the vertical pin area in the rear of the slide. The height of the bracket is about 0.160", but the set screw is about .180", so I sanded down the contacting end of the set screw to a flat surface. Probably a good idea to do that anyway so that the contact point doesn't bite into the slide metal.

If this site accepted pictures, I'd post one instead of just describing it, but I think you'll understand what I mean.

With a set screw, I can easily tighten and move the rear site bracket. A dab of blue locktite on the set screw and dovetail surfaces completes the job. Perhaps a better arrangement than counting on a staked site remaining firm.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 01 Oct 2011, 10:15

photobucket.com is your friend.

wheelguy

Post by wheelguy » 01 Oct 2011, 11:15

Photobucket et.al. - not so good if you dont want to show all your pics in one spot for anyone to browse.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Oct 2011, 11:24

Upload all the pictures, then put the URL for each individual photo in their own brackets

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
and they'll all show up on the forum.

wheelguy

Post by wheelguy » 01 Oct 2011, 14:44

Sure, I know how to post a pic using photobucket et.al. The issue is one of privacy. If you post 1 picture using a photobucket account, then everyone can see not only that one picture, but all pictures in that photobucket account.

Photobucket does that on purpose - so that you will pay for the security feature that prevents all of your pics from being on display for the world. For example, panzermk2 has a paid photobucket account - so that when you try to view all of his pictures using "http://photobucket/albums/e169/panzermk2", all you see is this security message "You don't have permission to access /albums/e169/panzermk2 on this server."

Is privacy a feature that is worth paying for? To some - yes, to others - not really. The trend of Forums allowing upload of images by forum users seems to be growing, though. You know what they say - a picture is worth - well, most of us just like pics :)

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 01 Oct 2011, 18:42

wheelguy wrote:Photobucket et.al. - not so good if you dont want to show all your pics in one spot for anyone to browse.
You can lock your folders so that people can't just browse them.

I don't have a paid account:
photobucket.com/albums/y27/f3rr37/

wheelguy

Post by wheelguy » 02 Oct 2011, 17:41

Hey - that works! One of these days I'll figure out how to run computers and such :) Thanks a bunch for the tip, here's a pic...

As you can see, I didn't hit dead center vertically - just used a hand held drill without measuring. The critical thing is to get the hole perpendicular to the base of the dove tail so that turning the set screw presses down flat against the slide. Burris FastFire II still holding strong after about 200 rounds with this mod - including 50 Protectors. Man, I love that EA ammo!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Feb 2013, 13:22

SMEG! Mine is loose now :wall: I don't really want to try wheelguy's mod though... I was looking into EA's night sights then they'd fix it when they installed it but I can't afford that yet...
Unless I come up with cash pretty soon, I might have to settle for a set screw :cry:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 02 Feb 2013, 15:29

Dude, the FsN just breaks everything that's on it.

Seriously.

Even the factory sights it came with? Wow. Ha. :facepalm:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Feb 2013, 22:28

Rapier1772 wrote:SMEG! Mine is loose now :wall: I don't really want to try wheelguy's mod though... I was looking into EA's night sights then they'd fix it when they installed it but I can't afford that yet...
Unless I come up with cash pretty soon, I might have to settle for a set screw :cry:

Watch this vid, I cover how the factory secures it and what you can do. I talk about it at 1:55

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Feb 2013, 23:06

I read the earlier comment about 1/4 wide chisel but it helps seeing the video, thank you. Now I just have to worry about those smeggin' springs :laugh:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Feb 2013, 18:30

Well, I finally do'ed it.
Didn't lose the spring! Still works but it was kinda tweaked, probably wouldn't hurt to replace it.
That chisel really cut into the steel (it was pretty new & plenty sharp), had me worried that I would cut a chunk of the slide out in front of the sight. So I tried a pin punch - not only did it loosen things up again, I bent the punch! Cheap smeggin' Dasco crap. Broke one of the smaller ones when I was working on my .22 a while back.

Finally got the sight locked in, hope it lasts but I am not really counting on it :skep:

Put it back together & it was stubborn as hell putting the slide back on the gun. I think the polymer cover is pressing against polymer frame. I tried taking the cover off & reinstalling it but didn't really help. It cycles by hand but feels like there is some rubbing. Need to go shoot it a bit, see if there is any interference - needed to resight it anyway :?:

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 22 Feb 2013, 20:41

http://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Camo-Du ... B003RYJ854

This should work...

If not... Just mail it to me, I will dispose of it accordingly...
There can only be two.