View Full Version : Hearing protection recommendations sought

11-24-2005, 12:59 AM
My wife and I have started going to an indoor range on a regular basis and we typically just rent earphones from them. We're thinking of purchasing our own (non-electronic for now) so I'd like recommendations on models/brands you have found useful. Your help is appreciated.

11-24-2005, 01:34 AM
well the best combo is both earplugs and headphones worn together....that protects best.
Headphones alone, can shift if you shoulder a rifle, or not seal correctly while wearing a cap,and let a higher level of sound in. wearing both is a failsafe if you cherish your hearing, or in my case what I have left.....I tend to favor the Peltor brand earphones that fold up for compact storage in the range bag....and a type of plugs sold in Industrial safety supply houses that last a long time and dont get filthy like the roll up foam ones...as well as being connected together to prevent loss. Anyway that is what I have found after trying a lot of different things. There are a lot of good products out there. The Peltors I use are also British military issue


11-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks! I had no idea someone was making ones that fold up, so I'll check into those.

And yes, I already do the earplugs and headphones. It has two distinct advantages:

1. It really protects my hearing.
2. I can't hear a single thing the wife says.

11-24-2005, 11:37 AM
This is the civy version of what I use.....H6F/V - NRR 21 FOLDING Hearing Protector

and just one place of many that sells them


There is also the "Tactical 6S" electronic muff offshoot made for police that this site also carries.

11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
any recomendations on electronic ones?

11-26-2005, 06:45 PM
The 6S is a good base line one...not as easy to change batteries on as the large full size models with the external battery compartment door however.
the so called "soundtrap" model that is listed right there by it is non folding and has the easy battery change....Tac Pro's are really good if you want to go that $$